Pages

Please leave me comments of what you would like to see in the future for tips and projects!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Freezing beef broth

     So last night for supper, I made a beef roast in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots and mushrooms. But I forgot to add onion! Oh well! But the roast was a hit. Graham Cracker said that roast was his mom's thing, she made it every Thursday night. So I'll admit I was a little nervous about it. Monday night I had put everything in the crockpot as I knew that I wouldn't have time Tuesday morning (I had to leave the house at 6). So first I put in the crockpot liner (love these!) and then the roast. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic and parsley. Then I quartered some red skin potatoes, added some baby carrots and some sliced mushrooms. I put the lid on it and stuck it in the frig. 
     At 6 o'clock Tuesday morning I added a little water to the crockpot and turned it on low and let it cook.... 15 hours!!! We had a late night that night and didn't eat until 9 but I think the extra time was worth it. It was amazing, the roast just feel apart and the vegetables were so tender and flavorful from the broth. Mmmm, this is making me hungry for lunch, leftovers!
     So after supper I went ahead and divided the leftovers, the beef, the veggies and the broth. I am going to use the leftover beef for beef stroganoff tonight (look for the post either tonight or tomorrow). But then Graham Cracker said that I should really save the broth. So I did. This morning I took it out of the refrigerator and scrapped the fat layer off the top. Then I added about 2 tablespoons of broth to each ice cube section of our ice cube traw. 2 Tablspoons equals 1 oz so that will make it easy for when I add the broth to a recipe. Here it is right before I put in the freezer.



 I froze them for about 4 hours. After they were frozen I broke them out of the tray, put them into a resealable bag and labeled it like this...



No comments:

Post a Comment